Saturday, May 30, 2009

Beatitude Blog! At long last!

YAY! I finally did it! I'm such a horrid procrastinator, I tell you. *sigh*

So... the first Beatitude says, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven." And here are my questions:

  • What does it mean to be poor in spirit?
  • What does being poor in spirit look like in every day life?
  • My study Bible says: "in contrast to the spiritually proud and self-sufficient", but what does that mean?
  • What is Jesus promising when He says: "for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven"? Will they have a special place in heaven?
So not a very long list... but yeah. A good start. :)

Sorry it took me long, Kimmy! I've actually been having a rough time... again. But I looked at myself lately and realized how negative I am when I'm not in sync with God. I'm just not a good person... imagine that. I remember how much I used to look forward to reading my Bible every night and I haven't done it in so long... I want to be ME again and get past this stupid fog that's been plaguing me. Anyway... yeah. :)

3 comments:

  1. Woo! Response time!


    * Poor in spirit means generically, to recognize your humanity and your absolute total need for Him in your life. It's not a self-pity or self-hate attitude it's just coming before Him each and everyday and not just knowing with your head, but experiencing with your heart a deep-seeded conviction - that you can do absolutely nothing that won't be burned up and truly nothing - without Him.

    Example: Psalm 51:16-17 (NKJV)

    "For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and contrite heart - These, O God, You will not despise."

    Being poor in spirit means getting low (humble) and staying low. That's why these are steps building on each other - everyday we must start in recognition, that without God, we are and have and can do...not a thing.



    * I expanded a little on this question above, but it means acknowledging God in everything. Sometimes people say things like, "Well, I really struggle at night when I'm alone with _____." Whatever wrong is in that blank cannot be corrected until the perspective is brought that they aren't alone. For us to recognize that we need Him in EVERYTHING, takes us realizing that He is, LITERALLY, always with us. So even in menial tasks that we "know" how to do, are we inviting God into those tasks? Are we making sure 1) that we're supposed to be doing them and 2) that we are doing them the way God desires?

    God is a gentlemen and He will not force His presence (manifest) on us. If we want to sin with Him in the room, He will not stop us. And though we may put Him in another room in our minds, the reality is that He remains, always.



    * I also touched on this above - it's not about looking spiritual or being "able" or "knowing" what you may "know" about God - it's understanding that it's out of God's love for us that He made known the mysteries of the Father to us and not believing that such wisdom is something we've "arrived" at or done on our own that we should boast. There is NO self-sufficiency in Christ, for He alone is self-sufficient. There is no spiritually proud in Christ, for He alone has done all the good through us.


    * I LOVE this promise of God. This life and our restored life in Christ means that we have been handed the keys and authority of the Kingdom. This life is not just something to make it through, but it's training for ruling and reigning with Christ in His Kingdom! So yes, the more we do the work in the will of the Lord - we will be put charge of things in the Kingdom that is what we step into when we accept Christ, but also the new heaven and new earth Kingdom in Christ's millenial reign.




    Any questions on this...holla back! Or if you want Scripture references, holla back! Woo woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is something to wrap your head around. I think that defining the line between self-hatred and humility will be key for me. I need to find that line between "I can't do anything" and "I can't do anything without God". Two little words that make ALL the difference. Maybe some scriptural references for reliance on God and humility? I know there are probably tons of them, but just some of your personal favorites would be cool. Also, would you mind explaining that last part about Christ's millenial reign? This terminology is new to me...

    I want to commit to this wholeheartedly because I want to learn. I want to be ready to do battle every day and not feel so unprepared as I walk this walk. Thank you so much, darling, for being such an important person in my life right now and for following God's calling and for sticking with me even when I wasn't willing to stick with myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So let's try this for a second time! I'm going to try and make it as close to my first response as possible, ha.


    REFERENCES HUMILITY/RELIANCE

    Probably the biggest one to study is James 4, really the whole chapter, but mostly outlining vs. 7-10. I don't want to write it out here, because I want you to dig deep into it.

    Also, another to meditate on 1 Peter 5. Pay attention to what the Word says. Who is written to? Who's writing it? What is this particular passage addressing then? Let me know what you find out.

    Sound like a lot of work? This is how to really get a solid foundation in the Word. ;o)


    Christ's Millenial Reign occurs about mid-tribulation, when the saints (us - old and new) will rule and reign with Him. It's the 1,000 year reign of Christ before the new heaven and new earth. You can see chapters 20-21 of Revelation for more info.


    Keeping that in mind, this whole life is a job interview for the next. What you do now is training for ruling and reigning in the future. We do not just get to heaven and sing happy worship songs all day, we will be given charges of kingdoms and nations, but not just because...we live our lives now as if eternity, because we step into eternity when we accept Christ.

    THAT'S why this is so important, it's not about now, it's about eternity.

    ReplyDelete